For instructions on installing the Dart or Flutter extensions, go here.
- #4749: The Extract Local Variable refactor now prompts for a name of the variable before extracting.
- #4741: The order of label/value in the language status area has been reversed to match other VS Code extensions.
- #4721: Violations of the
depend_on_referenced_packageslint now show the quick-fix to automatically add the dependency.
- #4718: A summary of debug sessions now appears in the language status area, with a command to quickly copy the VM Service URI to the clipboard.
- #4615: The textmate grammar used for initial syntax highlighting has been updated to highlight
- #4746: Template launch configurations (using
launch.json) now apply when running your project using the Run/Debug links in the editor title bar and from the explorer context menu.
- #4716: A new command Dart: Collect Diagnostic Information has been added to collect useful information (such as SDK version numbers and
flutter doctoroutput) for reporting issues.
- #4708: When using the SDK switcher, paths written in to
dart.flutterSdkPathwill now use
~(and forward slashes) when the SDK is inside your home directory. This is aimed to simplify sharing settings across machines/platforms.
- #4410: The Test Peek window should no longer show duplicated output for failed tests.
- #4731: In remote workspaces (including web IDEs like Codespaces and IDX), the number of code completions included has been lowered to improve responsiveness. Typing additional characters will refresh the set of completions shown.
- #4729: In remote workspaces, full documentation is no longer included for all items in code completion to improve responsiveness. This can be overridden using the
- #4722: External tools spawned by the extension (such as
dart devtools) will now automatically have the
FLUTTER_TOOLenvironment variable set, which may allow them to locate the Flutter SDK in some situations where they previously could not (and will help ensure they use the correct Flutter SDK if it’s not the one on
- #4739: An error is no longer reported if the dependency tree runs
flutter pub deps --jsonand triggers the first-run “Welcome to Flutter” notification.
Features/Fixes Enabled with Future SDKs
The following items depend on changes to the Dart/Flutter SDKs that have not yet been released to stable channels. Some are already available in the current beta channels though some are currently only available on bleeding-edge builds and will show up in future beta/stable SDK releases.
- #4758: “Wrap with …” refactors no longer wrap an entire switch expression when only a single branch was selected.
- #4757: Running Fix All with an unresolved
backgroundColorreference will no longer sometimes replace
- #4732: The Inline Local Variable refactor no longer adds unnecessary parens when inlining an expression in a
- #4692: Stepping after an exception has occurred should no longer sometimes jump to the top of the file when the top stack frame is inside an anonymous closure.
- #4762: A new panel is available on the Flutter side bar for selecting devices and launching DevTools for each debug session.
Some feature requests and fixes require new features and fixes in upstream projects like VS Code and LSP which use counts of 👍s on those issues to help gauge demand. The Dart-Code website now lists some of the most significant upstream issues with a description of the feature/fix they would enable. Please consider reviewing this list and adding your 👍 to any GitHub issues relevant to features you’d like to see!