For instructions on installing the Dart or Flutter extensions, go here.
The required version of Dart DevTools was increased to v0.0.15
Hot Reload on Debug Toolbar
#1493: A new Hot Reload button (thunderbolt icon) has been added to the debug toolbar. As part of this change, the Restart button will now always Hot Restart and the existing setting to control this behaviour has been removed. In the current version of VS Code it’s not possible to change the position of this custom button, however it will be moved next to the Restart button in an upcoming release.
As a result of the Restart button now always being Hot Restart the keybindings have changed. The new keybindings are:
F5) - Restart Debugging / Hot Restart
F5- Hot Reload
macOS Touch Bar Support
#936: New buttons have been added to the macOS Touch Bar during debug sessions. Buttons are available for the Flutter: Hot Reload, Dart: Open DevTools and Flutter: Take Screenshot commands.
As with the debug toolbar, the Hot Restart button will move next to the Restart button in an upcoming release.
Better Theme Support
#1050: A new option -
dart.theme - has been added to inform the Dart extension whether you’re using a Light or Dark theme (unfortunately VS Code does not expose an API for this). This controls the color of the icons shown in tooltips (and maybe more in future).
#1496: Similarly, the
dart.devToolsTheme setting will let you control which theme is used for the Dart DevTools. For now the default is
light, however this may change to default to whatever
dart.theme is set to in future when the Dark theme is more polished.
- #1537: The samples show in the Flutter: New Project From Docs command are now delegated to Flutter to ensure they better align with the Flutter channel you’re using.
- #1473: Some issues with the Flutter: Save Screenshot command failing based on the open file have been fixed.
DevTools Integration Changes
- #1525: Installing pre-release versions of DevTools using
pug global activatewill no longer result in additional prompts to install DevTools when trying to launch.
- #1514: The error message shown if you try to launch DevTools when running without debugging is now less vague.
- #1511: DevTools processes will be cleaned up more reliably when closing your project/VS Code.
- #1504: A keybinding of
Dhas been added to launch DevTools
- #1500: DevTools updates are now detected without requiring an update to the VS Code extension.
- #1478: DevTools is now updated automatically once you have approved the initial install.
- #1533: Breakpoints will no longer trigger during expression evaluation.
- #1512: Framework stack frames in error messages in the Debug Console will now be faded.
- #1502: Stopping at breakpoints will now always show the top frame, even if it’s inside code marked as not-debuggable.
- #1497: The debugger will no longer treat local (eg. path) packages as external, meaning they will now be debuggable by default.
- #1475: Triple quotes in logpoints are now handled correctly.
- #1449: Running a test that outputs an Observatory banner in non-debug mode will no longer cause the debugger to connect to that URL and behave unexpectedly.
- #178: For new versions of the SDK, comments will appear in SDK files while stepping into them.
- #1543: A new setting
dart.enableSdkFormatterhas been added to allow disabling the built-in SDK formatter.
- #1521: The “Open in Android Studio” command now works correctly on Linux.
- #1498: Nested
/* multi-line */comments are now colored correctly.
- #1554: Lines that contain a
/// triple-slash commentthat come immediately after another line with a triple-slash comment will no longer be entirely colored as a comment if there is code preceding the triple-slashes.
- #1483: Code completion will no longer remove preceding spaces.
- #1494: Typing
=will no longer immediately trigger code completion (since they are usually followed by whitespace).
- #1545: The Dart: Capture Logs command will no longer sometimes drop Observatory events for a short period after starting a debug session.
- #1403: A new command Dart: Open Analyzer Diagnostics has been added to start/open the Analyzer diagnostics web app. This is a diagnostic tool that you may be asked to use when trying to diagnose issues you’ve reported.
- #1491: The first time document formatting fails due to syntax errors, a notification will be shown explaining the reason.
- #1472: A new setting
dart.envhas been added that allows setting/overriding environment variables for all spawned Dart/Flutter processes.
- @tsangint contributed #1466: The extension will no longer fail to activate if the working directly contains broken symlinks.