For instructions on installing the Dart or Flutter extensions, go here.
- #1651: When multiple pubspecs change at once (for example during a git branch change), a prompt will be shown offering to fetch packages (sequentially).
pub getwill no longer fire multiple times concurrently during creation of projects with
Dart: New Projectand
Flutter: New Project.
- #1666: Projects created with
Flutter: New Projectwill once again show the device selector in the status bar without having to reload the folder after initial creation.
Auto-Importing from Code Completion
#1060: Code completion now lists symbols that are not yet imported and will auto-import the required library when selected.
Items will show “Auto import from xyz” in their details when this will occur.
The import will be added once the selected item is committed. This also works for part files, where the import will be added to the relevant parent file.
This feature requires v2.2.1 of the Dart SDK and can be disabled with the
Improved Dependencies Tree
The dependencies tree has been updated and improved. It’s now (#1591) be available for workspaces that have multiple projects (either in sub-folders, or as part of a multi-root workspace), (#1622) sorts folders above files and (#1621) no longer shows projects in their own dependencies list.
- #1634: A race condition that caused devices not to be detected has been resolved.
- #1593: The prompt to install the Flutter extension when opening a Flutter project has been streamlined and can install the extension for you instead of just linking to the marketplace.
- #1629: A new command
Flutter: Toggle Check Elevationshas been added to toggle highlighting invalid elevations.
- #1602: Running without debugging no longer stops some Flutter functionality (such as debug toggles) from functioning.
- #1574: Progress notifications will now appear more quickly when launching Flutter applications.
- #1566: Adding breakpoints in SDK files while debugging will no longer throw errors.
- #1540: The Hot Reload button on the debug toolbar (and Touch Bar) is now placed next to the Restart button.
- #1625: Flutter snippets now appear in completion for Flutter projects that are in sub-folders of the main workspace.
- #1598: Creating projects with Stagehand will no longer sometimes end with the VS Code explorer pane showing a stale file list.
- #1594: Switching between SDKs will no break some functionality inside files that were already open.
- #1573/#1635: More improvements have been made to syntax highlighting of comments.
- #1570: The “Ignore hint xxx” quick-fixes (enabled with
dart.showIgnoreQuickFixes) will now appear at the bottom of the Code Actions list.
- #1563: Documentation tooltips will be positioned more appropriately for Widget constructor calls that span many lines.
- #1555: Diagnostic errors in the Problems list have more detailed descriptions of how to resolve them.
@macrodeclarations in tooltips will now be resolved to the correct values (when using a recent enough version of the SDK).
pub getwill now run for
pubspec.yamlchanges made even outside of VS Code. For example, if you switch Git branch and the pubspec is modified, packages will be fetched automatically.
- #1538: DevTools now defaults to the dark theme. This can be changed with the
pub getwill automatically run immediately after creating stagehand projects.
- #1633: Update notifications are no longer shown after the first install.
- #1604: The Hot Reload buttons/commands will no longer show up when running a Flutter project without Hot Reload support.
- #1640: A new setting has been added (
dart.flutterHotRestartOnSave) that will enable running Hot Restart on save when running a Flutter project without Hot Reload support.
- #1600: Enabling the (diagnostic) Analyzer observatory port will no longer result in an error showing in the console.
- #1599: Optional settings are now defined as such so that editing them in the VS Code Settings UI does not update them to default values for the data type (such as
- #1618: Notifications for Dart DevTools will no longer be shown when running tests.